So much going on this weekend! Austin Food Blogger’s Alliance first bloggers conference, Byte of Texas, a fabulous sounding fundraiser for local Springdale Farms, my birthday 🙂 And Cochon 555 is coming to Austin. If you have not heard, Cochon 555 is an epic traveling pork battle featuring local chefs in a competition using heritage breeds of pork. Here are the deets, hope to see you there!
Heritage BBQ presented by Goose Island Beer Co. is bringing its flavor-packed, star-studded five city global BBQ tour to Austin on Sunday, September 28th. The local-food focused BBQ tour started by Brady Lowe, Founder of Cochon 555, invites five notable chefs to put their love of globally-influenced whole pig BBQ to the test in a friendly but fierce competition to promote the consumption of heritage breed pigs raised by local family farms.
This year’s competing chefs include Daniel Olivella of Barlata, Ned Elliott of Foreign & Domestic, Dustin Harvey and Paul Qui of East Side King, Justin Yu of Oxheart (Houston), and Mat Clouser & Zack Northcutt of Swift’s Attic. Each chef will be given a 200 pound heritage breed pig to create six dishes for a crowd of pork-loving enthusiasts. Host Executive Chef Thomas Riordan of W Austin will lead the panel of 20 respected judges in selecting Austin’s “BBQ King.”
In addition to the five-chef competition, the event will feature a lineup of notable Texas chefs participating in our “BBQ Traditions” series, where each chef prepares one dish from their favorite global BBQ culture. This year will kick off in a Texas-style BBQ with Felix Flores of Black Hill Meats and Patrick Feges of Feges BBQ, presented byAnakota Wines. Additionally, Heritage BBQ partner Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau is proud to sponsor Houston chef Ronnie Killen of Killen’s BBQ, who will prepare Texas-style beef ribs. Additional Houston chefs include Phillipe Gaston of Kata Robata, who will provide Japanese BBQ bites, and Jordan Asher of Dosi Restaurant + Soju Bar, who will cook up Korean-style. Guests will also enjoy Satay from James Zoller and Vietnamese-style BBQ from James Watson of TRACE, an Argentinian dish from Josh Jones of Salt & Time, a take on Lexington BBQ from Harold Marmulstein of Salty Sow and “Welcome Ribs” from Shane Stiles of Stiles Switchprovided by Berkwood Farms Berkshire Pork. To access an online directory of BBQ Traditions from around the world, click here.
Heritage BBQ is an edible education on the finest social tradition in human history. Together with local food producers, craft brewers, winemakers and prestigious distillers, the Heritage BBQ tour motivates grilling communities worldwide to support local food producers, and to break ground on a new hyper-local, globally-themed BBQ culture while celebrating National Bourbon Month.
The 450 person event features 1,400+ pounds of heritage pig. In addition to the 35+ chef-prepared global BBQ dishes, guests will also experience:
• The Goose nest, an area featuring Goose Island Beer Co.’s beers
• A Pop-Up Butcher Shop featuring Bryan Butler of Salt & Time, benefiting Le Cordon Bleu with the support of Williams-Sonoma
• Special “Summer Citrus” cocktail from Four Roses Bourbon
• Spotlight chefs from Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau including competing chef Justin Yu of Oxheart, andBBQ Traditions with Ronnie Killen of Killen’s BBQ, Patrick Feges of Feges BBQ and Felix Flores of Black Hill Meats
• Special chef pairing with “BBQ Traditions” presented by Anakota Wines, a collection of single vineyard, single varietal, Knights Valley appellation wines from rural Sonoma County
• Welcome Reception from W Hotel for arrivals featuring Berkwood Farms Berkshire Pork Ribs and libations featuring amazing punches
• “Perfect Manhattan” Bourbon Bar to celebrate National Bourbon Month, featuring Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Breckenridge Bourbon, Templeton Rye, Four Roses, Glenrothes and Luxardo
• BBQ Short-rib Bar featuring Creekstone Farms and an artisan cheese bar featuring Kenny’s Farmhouse Cheese
• Rappahannock River Oysters served raw and BBQ’d over fire with owner Travis Croxton
• Portfolio tasting of Crispin Ciders – Official Cider of the US Tour, amazing wines and a Mezcal & Tequila Bar featuringFidencio, Mezcales de Leyenda and Dulce Vida Organic Vodka.
• Pre-awards “Ice Cream Social” with James Beard Award Winner, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams
• An after party at TRACE featuring $5.55 food specials, Eagle Rare inspired cocktails, led by W Austin libationist, Dustin Courtright
“This is the new Q that celebrates hundreds of grilling – and smoking – traditions from around the world. We are on a mission to redefine BBQ as social eating, the act of gathering around fire, making friends and eating responsibly-raised animals. Together we work around the clock to preserve timeless family traditions from all over the globe. The bottom line is to host an event that develops the conversation of local food and heritage pigs, thus creating long-term growth, jobs on farms and better food choices for the future,” explains Brady Lowe. “We are passionate about promoting food sources that support a more natural, sustainable food system, and for the first time we are excited to announce Goose Island Beer Co. as a presenting sponsor of the Heritage BBQ series.”
“We are really excited to host Cochon 555 here at W Austin as the event is very much in line with our core food philosophies. Not only is our onsite restaurant TRACE, named for its traceability of ingredients, known for its dedication to serving food that is consciously sourced, we are also proud to be a part of the Austin food community which is rich with culinary prowess,” remarked W Austin Executive Chef Thomas Riordan. “We are thrilled to have a handful of Texas’ best chefs join us for the event and we can’t wait to taste their BBQ”
Where: W Austin – Official Host Venue
When: Sunday, Sept. 28, 2014
8 p.m. – 11 p.m. TRACE after party